Just posted the recipe of Sambhar podi, so thought will post the recipe for Sambhar using sambhar podi too. I have already posted a recipe of Sambhar which does not use the Sambhar powder. Each is different and unique on its own way. I really don't know how we south Indians can survive without sambhar. Yesterday made some drumstick sambhar and Idlis for breakfast, everything disappeared in minutes, literally.My family just loves sambhar.. Here is the recipe
What are the ingredients needed?
Toor Dhal, 1 cup
Garlic, 4-5 cloves
Tomato, 2-3 nos(depending on the size)
Drumstick/Radish or any other vegetable of your choice (chopped), 1 cup
Tamarind, small lemon size
Oil, 2-3 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Onion(sliced), 1 no.
Curry leaves a sprig
Turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Sambhar powder, 2 tablespoons
Cilantro, to garnish
How it is made?
- Pressure cook Toor dhal with garlic and tomatoes. Mash them.
- Steam the veggies till they are cooked but take care not overcooked, then they will turn mushy.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the juice and discard any seeds, fibers and other stuff that doesn't dissolve in water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add sliced onions and curry leaves and saute till the onions turn golden brown.
- Then add the steamed vegetables, turmeric powder, asafoetida, sambhar powder and cook for few minutes.
- Then add the mashed toor dhal , extracted tamarind juice and mix well.
- Check the consistency of the sambhar, if needed add more water and adjust and now add required salt and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Once it is ready, turn off the heat, garnish with cilantro and serve.