From the day of announcing the Show me your HITS event with the theme Healthy Desserts, I was determined to try some healthy dessert. After all sugary, high calorie desserts enjoyed during Diwali, I wanted to try something without sugar and enjoy it guilt free. This weekend we had plans to meet one of our friends who is pregnant, what would be a better occasion to try a healthy dessert than this? So I tried this Dates almonds laddu, Sweetness from the date and the crunchiness from the almonds made a wonderful combination. The cinnamon and nutmeg used perfectly set the holiday mood. Perfect as a dessert for the holiday parties for those health conscious guests. :)
What are the ingredients needed?
Dates, 1 cup
Almonds, 1/4 cup
Milk, 2-3 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder, 1/4 tsp
Cardamom powder,1/4 tsp
Nutmeg powder, a pinch
Butter (room temperature), for rolling
How it is made?
- Dry roast the almonds and chop them to small pieces.
- Roughly chop the dates and coarsely grind them in a food processor along with cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. To ease grinding process, add a teaspoon of milk (or more as needed, but add gradually).
- Heat a non stick pan and add the ground mixture from food processor, cook for few minutes.
- Add the chopped almonds to this and mix well.
- Remove from heat and let it cool lightly to a bearable warmth. Then equally divide them and grease hands with butter and roll them into balls.
- For the size of balls (small bite size ones) I have made, I got 14.
- Store them in airtight container and enjoy !!!
Linking this to Sangeetha's Show me your HITS - Healthy Desserts happening here and also to 60 days to Christmas event hosted by Priya Ranjit and Divya Pramil