Microwave in my kitchen is more of a accessory or a show piece than a appliance. I hardly use it for cooking. I use it for heating or making desserts once in a blue moon. One day my brother asked about cooking in microwave and some recipes to cook, that is when I realized I am yet to explore that area. So decided to start with the basics. Today's recipe is the plain rice.
Rice, 1 cup
Water, 2.5 cup
How it is made?
- Wash the rice and drain excess water.
- In a microwave safe bowl, Soak the washed rice with required water(2.5 cup) for 30 minutes.
- Microwave them for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Then cover it and microwave for 12 minutes.Water will start bubbling and to avoid splatters keep it covered, but make sure there is vent for the steam to escape.
- Once it is done, let it sit for 5 minutes then fluff it up and serve.
- If there is water still left, microwave again for another 2 minutes.
Serve with gravy of your choice.
- I used sona masoori. Type of rice determines the water-rice ratio.
- Also if you need the rice to be mushy, increase the water and also adjust the timing accordingly. But however please remember, it is not going to be as mushy as rice cooked in pressure cooker.
- I cook the rice plain, if needed, you can add salt to taste and little bit of oil.