For any Indian festival, the must have dessert is Payasam/ Kheer. If any feast is planned, payasam definitely has its place. With the festive season around, I decided to post some dessert recipes for this week. Todays recipe is Aval Payasam. It is a rich, creamy pudding made with flattened rice/ Beaten rice, sweetened with Sugar and loaded with raisins and cashews. Very easy to make and a very comforting payasam.
What are the ingredients needed?
Aval/ Poha/Flattened Rice, 1 cup (I used the thick variety)
Milk, 4 cups
Sugar, 3/4 cup- 1 cup
Cardamom, 4-5 pods
Ghee, 2 Tablespoon
Cashews & Raisins, 10-12 each
Saffron, a pinch (optional)
How it is made?
- Powder cardamom with 2 Tablespoons of Sugar and keep it ready.
- Fry cashew and raisin in a tablespoon of ghee and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee, add aval and fry it for a minute or two till it lightly changes color.
- Now add 2 cups of milk and simmer at low flame till the aval cooks.
- Then mix the rest of the sugar and another 2 cups of milk and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the powdered cardamom,a pinch of saffron, fried cashews and raisins mix well and turn off the heat.
- Serve it warm or serve chilled as desired.
- You can increase or decrease the cashews and raisins as per your preference.
- For a variation, you can add other dry fruits and nuts too.
- Payasam thickens with time, so dilute with little milk before serving.
- I added 3/4 cup of Sugar, If you like to be more sweeter then add 1/4 cup. Adjust the sugar as per your personal taste.