School started for my daughter yesterday and today she is at home sick. She demanded my attention the whole time and I hardly got any time to cook. So made rasam and this thovaiyal to keep it simple.
Paruppu thovaiyal is the kind of spicy lentil chutney served as an accompaniment with the rice.
What are the ingredients needed?
Toor dhal/ Yellow pigeon peas/ Thuvaram paruppu, 1/2 cup
Oil, 2-3 tsp
Red chillies, 3-4 nos
Garlic, 5-6 cloves
Asafoetida, a pinch
Coconut, 3-4 tablespoon
Tamarind, size of a gooseberry
Salt, as per taste
Water, as needed
How it is made?
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add red chillies and garlic and fry them for a minute or two.
- Then add the toor dhal, a pinch of asafoetida and roast it in low heat till the dhal turns in color and nice aroma comes out of it.
- Then add the coconut, tamarind mix well and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool off, add salt to taste and required water and grind it into a coarse paste.
- Thovaiyal is ready to be served.
Serve with Rice and rasam or just this thovaiyal with dollop of ghee in the rice. Serves 3-4 persons.