For Dinner, I wanted to do something special, I was browsing for interesting dish to serve along with chappathi and came across this recipe by Tarla Dalal. I did some minor changes to fit our personal taste and it was a hit. Panchmel Dal, as the name suggests has five lentils. It is spicy and tangy gravy.
Original recipe from Tarla Dalal
What are the ingredients needed?
Toor Dal, 1/3 cup
Channa Dal, 1/3 cup
Moong Dal, 1/3 cup
Urad dal, 1 Tablespoon
Whole moong, 2 tablespoon
Chilli powder, 2 teaspoons
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala, 1 teaspoon
Oil, 1 tablespoon
Ghee, 2 tablespoon
Slit Green chillies, 2 nos
Cloves, 5- 6 nos
Bay leaves, 2 nos
Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Amchur powder, 2 teaspoon
Tamarind extract, 2 teaspoon
Salt, to taste
Water as needed
Cilantro, to garnish (optional)
How it is made?
- Wash all the five dhals together and pressure cook them.
- Let the pressure release and mash them.
- Mix chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala with 3 tablespoons of water and set this masala mixture aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, add cumin seeds,green chillies, asafoetida, cloves and bay leaves and fry them for a minute or two.
- Then add the masala mixture and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Then add the mashed dhals, amchur powder, tamarind extract and salt to taste and mix them well. Add water to get the desired consistency and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve them hot with rotis or any Indian flat bread.
- It is a spicy gravy. You can adjust the spice level to your taste.
- Keep an eye on the gravy while it is simmering, it gets burnt at the bottom, so use heavy bottomed pan, keep stirring occasionally.