Lord Ganesha is widely worshiped as God of,wisdom, prosperity, good fortune and health. Also before beginning anything new, he is the one worshiped first. He is believed to remove all the obstacles, destroy all evils and bring in success.It is his birthday today. On this special occasion, wish you all a Happy Vinayagar Chathurthi!!
The most famous dish made on this day is kozhukattai. What can be more apt than Oats Kozhukattai for breakfast on this special day? Yes. Today's recipe is Oats Kozhukattai and it is the day 2 of the blogging marathon. To check what the other marathoners are doing click here
What are the ingredients needed?
Rolled Oats- 1 cup
Rice flour, 1/2 cup
Oil, 2-3 teaspoon
Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
Split Urad dhal, 2 teaspoon
Red chillies, 2- 3 nos(depending on the size of chillies and spice level required)
Cilantro- 2 Tablespoon(chopped)
Curry leaves, 1 sprig (chopped)
Salt to taste
How it is made?
- Dry roast the oats till it gives mild aroma. Then let it cool and powder it finely.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, urad dhal, red chilies and curry leaves and fry till urad dhal turns color lightly, then add chopped cilantro mix well and remove them from heat. Let it cool.
- Combine oats flour, rice flour and salt. Then add the tempered mixture to the flour and required water and knead the flour till they are fully combined.
- Take this mixture, roll into equal sized balls and take each ball in palm close the fingers and press to get the desired kozhukattai shape. Do the same to all the balls.
- Then grease a idly plate and steam cook these kozhukattais for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, keep them covered till it is ready to be served.
- I got about 12 kozhukattais.
- While roasting oats take care not to burn the oats, roast only till mild aroma comes and it will change color lightly but dont wait till it is golden brown. ;)
- For kneading, I used about 3/4 cup of water plus few more drops. Take care not to add too much water.
- While storing keep the kozhukattais covered, when kept open they get dried very fast.