Sundal is the stir fried legumes of your choice. It is a must have for any festival or offering to God .It can be made with chick peas, peas, channa dhal etc., It is simple and easy to make. It makes a healthy snack too. I made this sundal for Vinayagar Chathurthi. It is for the blogging marathon. To check what the other marathoners are doing click here
What are the ingredients needed?
Black chickpeas, 1 cup
Oil, 2-3 teaspoons
Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon
Red chillies, 2-3 (depending on the size, required spice level)
Curry leaves, a sprig
Asafoetida- a pinch
Salt, to taste
Grated Coconut, 3 tablespoons
How it is made?
- Soak the chickpeas for 5-6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Then pressure cook the chickpeas for 3-4 whistles.
- Then let the pressure release, drain the water and set the cooked chick peas aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, when they crack add red chillies, curry leaves and fry for a minute or two, then add asofoetida, cooked chickpeas, salt to taste and mix well.
- Cook this for a minute or two, then remove from heat add the grated coconut, mix well and serve.
- While eating as a snack, onion can also be used. But usually while offering to God, we avoid garlic and Onion.
- For variation, u can add grated ginger too. Fry the grated ginger with other ingredients and proceed.
- Red chillies can be replaced by green chillies too.