Every year for my daughter's birthday I used to bake a cake and everytime she wants strawberry cake. I got " Entenmann's Big Book of Baking" as a gift from my sister in law for my birthday and it was lying untouched. So I thought of trying a cake from the book and decided to do Yogurt sponge cake and to not disappoint Thaara's love for strawberries, I used strawberry frosting ( didn't have time to make my own. just used the store bought frosting). I couldn't prepare the cake ahead of time, was caught up with so many work and finished the cake just few minutes before the cake cutting. Since I did in a hurry the decorations didn't come out as expected. Though it may not be the prettiest of the cakes but sure it did taste very good. It was soft and spongy.Thaara wanted a smiley on the cake too. According to her, I scored in all aspects of the cake, but I felt I could have done a little better with the decoration. But time crunch..
Recipe Source: Entenmann's Big Book of Baking
What are the ingredients needed?
Unsalted butter (Room Temperature), 3/4 cup
Sugar, 1 1/2 cup
Eggs, 3 nos.
All purpose flour, 2 cups
Baking powder, 1 tsp
Baking Soda, 1 tsp
Salt, 1/2 tsp
Yogurt, 1 cup
Vanilla extract, 2 tsp
How it is made?
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the cake pan, by greasing and flouring it. I used a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until they are fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Slowly sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt and vanilla extract and add this mixture to the flour mixture and mix until they are blended and forms a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour this cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35 minutes or until the tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool.
- If you want to have just the cake, you can slice and enjoy it now.
If you want to decorate the cake, you can proceed with the further steps now.
- Once the cake is cooled, tort the cake using the cake leveler. It is slicing the cake into half.
- Set a layer of the cake on the cake base, add a layer of frosting and keep the other layer of cake. Now spread the frosting to sides and top of the cake, such that all sides are properly and evenly covered with frosting.
- Then fill in the frosting bag with the frosting and add the desired tip and decorate and enjoy the cake.
|(Cake picture taken at night, pardon the picture quality)|
- The baking temperature and time of the cake varies with the oven. When I was baking the cake I noticed that the top of the cake started browning (after the cake is in the oven for 30 minutes) and the middle of the cake was not done, what I did is lowered the temperature to 325 and covered the cake pan with silver foil and baked for another 10 minutes and cake was perfectly done.
- Before torting the cake, let the cake cool completely otherwise it will form crumbs and the slice wont be even.
- The consistency of frosting for spreading the cake should be thin, as it aids in easier spreading and the consistency for making decorations must be stiff, to get the clean and sharp effect. (But since I used the store bought one, the decorations were not as expected. Next time preparing my own frosting.).