It was a long time since I made fish curry, so made this afternoon for lunch. This is chettinad style curry made without coconut. It was absolutely delicious, spicy and tangy.
What are the ingredients needed?
Fish, 1 lb
Tamarind, 1 small lemon ball size
Large onion, 1 no
Tomatoes, 2 nos.
Garlic, 7- 8 cloves
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Oil, 2 Tbs
Mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder, 1 tsp
Coriander powder, 2 tsp
Salt to taste
How it is made?
- Clean the fish and cut them to the desired size.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the pulp.
- Chop onions, tomatoes and garlic and set them aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and when they start cracking add the chopped onions, garlic and curry leaves and cook till the onion turn golden brown.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes, till tomatoes turn mushy, then add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder and cook till the raw smell is gone.
- Then add the tamarind extract and required water to get the desired consistency and let it come to a boil.
- To this add the cleaned fish and simmer till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Serve this gravy with steamed rice.