When I was a kid, I was a picky eater, used to hate most of the vegetables, but always loved beets. Mom would make stir fry with beets, I would have it with yogurt rice, really loved to see how the color of the rice changes when mixed with beets. Now my daughter, loves yogurt rice and beets combination and she calls it pink rice. You add that beet to anything, it gets the color of beet and the dish becomes colorful. Beetroot paratha, beet cake, beet soup, beet halwa, beets salad etc., etc., For the day 3 of the blogging marathon I made roasted beets Salad with Walnuts.
What are the ingredients needed?
Large beet- 1 no. (when chopped it was equal to 1.5 cups)
Chopped onions, 1/4 cup
Walnuts(chopped), 2 Tbs
Lemon juice, 2 Tbs
Olive oil, 3 tsp
Salt, to taste
Cumin powder, 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder, 1/2 tsp
How it is made?
- To Roast the beet- Wash the beet and dry it. then drizzle some oil and salt and then cover it with silver foil. Preheat the oven to 425 F and Roast it for 45 min, till it is tender. The time taken for roasting varies depending on the size of the beets.The smaller the beet, lesser the time it takes.
- After roasting the beet, let it cool and peel its skin and dice it.
- Then prepare the dressing by mixing olive oil, Lemon juice, salt, cumin and pepper powders.
- Then mix the beets, chopped onions, cilantro and dressing and toss them along with walnuts.
- Ready to serve. It serves 2.