I was not a fan of salad before. Never in million years thought I will make salad at home. But when hubby and daughter started showing interest in Salads, I was left with no options, except making them at home. Still am far away from making all those leafy salads, which may be I will try sometime (when they demand, may be). Recently we have announced Wednesday as "No Rice Day!" at home. So every Wednesday I have started making some kind of salad. Last week made this Quinoa Carrot Cucumber Salad for lunch along with baked Fish. I must say it was good and got nice remarks from hubby and daughter.
Quinoa as you all know, is very healthy - rich in protein and high in dietary fibre, quinoa is digested slowly, making it a good low Glycemic index diet. If interested to know more about Nutrition Secrets, click here.
What are the ingredients needed?
Cooked Quinoa, 2 cups
Carrot(chopped), 1 cup
Cucumber(chopped), 1 cup,
Olive oil, 1 Tbs
Mint(chopped) 2 Tbs
Pepper powder, 1/2 Tsp
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice, from 1 lemon
How it is made?
- Prepare salad dressing by mixing lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper powder and mint leaves.
- Mix the cooked Quinoa, carrot and cucumber. Then Toss it with the salad dressing.
- Garnish with a mint leaves and it is ready to serve.
- Quinoa has a bitter outer coating and has to be washed away before cooking. Most of the boxed quinoa, recommends a rinsing before cooking too.
- Quinoa can be cooked the same way as rice. I pressure cooked it. The cooked grain has a tiny curl and it will have slight bite to it.