When I came across this whole wheat Ragi chocolate cake, I was immediately hooked to it. It is sugarless, made with wheat flour and Ragi Flour (Finger millet) and also it is chocolate cake, what more do you need?? I made few changes to the original recipe. This cake came out perfectly well - so soft and moist and no one could tell its made of Ragi. Lots of goodness in this delicious cake. I am glad that I tried this recipe.
Edited on 26th November, 2015: Since my first try I have made this cake many times. Every time this cake has received very good response from everyone. I made this cake today for my son, who loves chocolate. This time, I added nuts and dry fruits as I made it as a snack cake.
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Salt
Eggless ragi chocolate cake recipeEgg less Chocolate Cake made with Ragi flour and Wheat flour (sugarless). It is sweetened with Jaggery and Honey. A Healthy guilt free Cake.
Prep time: Baking time: Total time:
Yield: 1 9x9" Square cake
Whole wheat flour : 1 cup
Ragi flour (Finger millet flour) : 1/2 cup
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder : 1/4 cup
Baking powder : 1 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda : 1/2 teaspoon
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Yogurt : 3/4 cup
Vegetable oil : 1/2 cup
Jaggery (grated) : 1/2 cup
Water : 1/4 cup
Honey : 1/4 cup
Milk : 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract : 1 teaspoon
Dry fruits and nuts : as needed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the pan and dust it with flour.
- In a bowl, sift both the flours, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.
- In a bowl add grated jaggery and 1/4 cup of water and melt it. Don't bring it to boil. Then filter it for any impurities and let it cool slightly.
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together - yogurt, oil, honey, vanilla extract, milk and melted jaggery.
- Add the dry ingredients to this mixture and mix well until the cake batter is smooth. Finally add chopped nuts and dry fruits and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until done (the tooth pick inserted in the center has to come out clean).
- Let the cake cool, remove it from the cake pan decorate as desired and enjoy it.
- Cake is not very sweet. So adjust the sweetness as per the personal taste.
- Baking time varies as per the size of the pan and also the oven. So check yours and bake accordingly. For the cake pan I used, it took only 25 minutes.
- I used 1/4 cup of dry fruits and 1/4 cup of nuts. If you prefer you can omit them.
- You can decorate the cake, as you please- may be with chocolate frosting or chocolate ganache.
Recipe developed, cooked and clicked by Divya Prakash