Vazhakkai, 1 no
Red Onion, 1 no
Oil, 1 tbs
Mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal, 1 tsp
Garlic, 4-5 cloves
Ginger, 1 " Piece
Green chillies, 2-3 nos
Asafoetida, a pinch
Salt to taste
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
Grated coconut(optional) 2-3 tbs
- Cook vazhakkai with its skin on, till its completely cooked but still firm. Dont over cook it. Then remove the skin and grate it.
- Cut garlic into small pieces and grate ginger too.
- Heat oil in the skillet and add mustard seeds.Once they splutter, add urad dhal, chopped onions, slit green chillies, curry leaves,garlic and ginger. Also add asafoetida.
- Cook till the onion turns into golden brown then add turmeric powder. Cook till the raw smell is gone.
- Then add the grated vazhakkai , salt and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Finally add the grated coconut and mix well.